Amalgam Removal

Amalgam Removal

Amalgam fillings should never be removed without adequate testing and safety precautions.  Mercury is a deadly poison and an oxidant catalyst.  Removing even one filling from people who are already ill, or unknowingly near their toxic threshold, can make the individual worse unless the proper steps prior to and during removal are followed.

Amalgam fillings are the major source of mercury burden in the average person.  Thus, it seems apparent that amalgam removal is the necessary first step in helping a patient who is mercury-toxic.

Prior to amalgam removal, we evaluate how your body is currently handling the poison it has already absorbed.  We evaluate whether your tissues are blocked with toxins to the point where you cannot adequately excrete mercury, and whether your kidneys can handle the extra mercury burden upon amalgam removal.  Often the use of a hair and blood analysis and a detailed symptom history is extremely valuable.  Cooperation with your physician or complementary health care provider is also helpful. 

Besides measuring the body’s toxicity threshold, we want to ensure that the body is working efficiently and regularly.  The bowel is the major excretory route for mercury, so it is essential that a patient’s elimination system be functioning properly before we begin the process of removal.  Once the constant low-level source of mercury is removed, the body begins a process of detoxification; the mercury that is released must be able to leave the body rapidly and completely.  Part of the pre-removal preparations might include vitamins, minerals, and other supplements as well as homeopathic remedies. Appointments for amalgam removal are scheduled according the body’s seven-day immune system cycle.  This means that seven days after amalgam removal, the immune system will not be able to tolerate another insult from removal.

During the removal process, several precautions are necessary for the patient, including a nose mask for breathing oxygen, a rubber dam to cover the patient’s mouth, a lot of water coming from the drill, and special high speed suction.  To decrease the amount of vapor, we section the fillings out in chunks as opposed to grinding it out.  We use an electric drill for two reasons:  First, because it cuts so much more efficiently than an air turbine. Second, because it turns at slower revolutions per minute, there is less chance of heating the tooth, and therefore, it is rare that a tooth will die after mercury removal.  We also use air filters in the treatment rooms to reduce the amount of mercury vapors. 

Upon completion of the amalgam removal, patients may be referred to a physician for intravenous Vitamin C.  Vitamin C’s antioxidant effects help to minimize the impact of mercury entering the bloodstream.  Generally, it is best to get all of the mercury out as quickly as possible – the longer the process is, the more stressful it is for the patient both mentally and physically. 

By removing mercury from the mouth, you are getting rid of the primary source of mercury exposure, but it is not the end of the process.  Learn more about detoxification after mercury amalgam removal.