It has been three years since I wrote a series of newsletters on water. After attending the seminar with Dr. Tennant (see last month’s newsletter, Healing with Voltage), I decided it was time to revisit the water issue.

I think it is a mistake to drink tap water, on a regular basis, particularly if it is chlorinated and/or fluoridated.

I don’t even recommend bathing or showering in it. The chlorine does do a good job disinfecting the water, but it also has some negative health consequences. Studies have shown that chlorinated water increases arterial plaque, the miscarriage rate, and several types of cancer (GI, bladder, and rectal). There will be more on the negative effects of chlorine in a future newsletter.

When fluoride is added to the water, there are also negative health consequences.

See past newsletters on fluoride: Fluoride What’s the Truth and An Update on Fluoride or read the in-depth Fluoride chapter in my book. There are also other reasons to not drink tap water.

Many people are on prescription drugs and the drugs and their metabolites are showing up in drinking water.

The World Health Organization (WHO) addressed this issue in 2011. Up to 25 pharmaceuticals have been detected in treated drinking water. Many more have been detected in wastewaters, surface waters and ground waters. The WHO concluded that the levels of these substances are low and, therefore, they are not a real problem; they suggest that attention should stay focused on bacteria. Yes, the levels are low, but no one knows the impact of these drugs and their metabolites on human health, especially the cumulative and/or combination effects.

If tap water is not the best source for our drinking water, what is? Bottled water is an option; however testing has shown that about 25% of bottled water is really untreated tap water. Because of this it is important to know the source of the water you buy. The plastic containers in which water is sold may also be a problem. One solution to these problems is to take tap water and filter it. Three years ago I recommended using a reverse osmosis filter to do this. Then at Dr. Tennant’s seminar, I heard Leo’s story.

Leo was in his 30’s when he became very ill. He had been an athlete, in excellent physical health. Slowly, his health deteriorated to the point where he was on five heart medications and the slightest exertion rendered him out of breath. Today Leo has his health back, and he takes no medication. How did this come about? A friend of Leo’s kept telling him that he needed to try alkaline water. Leo resisted this. The water he consumed was excellent. You see, Leo’s business was selling reverse osmosis units to homes and businesses. So his water was pure and healthy. Leo’s friend was very persistent and after several weeks Leo gave in and began consuming the alkaline water provided to him, rather than the reverse osmosis (RO) water. After about a week Leo noticed a slight improvement; so he continued to use the alkaline water.

Over the next several months, Leo steadily improved.

Now he was faced with a moral dilemma. He knew that the RO water was certainly better than tap water, but he felt that the alkaline water was what people should be drinking.

However, alkaline water systems were very expensive and he knew that most of his customers could not afford them. Typical alkaline water units use electric plates made of platinum, which disassociate the water molecules into hydrogen (H) and hydroxyl ions (OH). The water comes out of one spout alkaline and the other spout acidic. Typically, these units are $3-4,000. Because the amazing way his health had rebounded, Leo felt he had to do something to make alkaline water affordable. Thus Leo began researching alkaline water and alkaline water units. And so have I.

Next month I will share with you the results of my most recent research. There is a way to enhance the reverse osmosis process and what I think is an even better way than RO to treat water.

© 2012, Mark A. Breiner, DDS

The information presented is for educational purposes only. You should consult a qualified health practitioner for diagnosis and treatment.

Call Now Button