Many people are turning away from pharmaceuticals and are looking to find treatments in more natural ways. Naturopathy and homeopathy both aim to heal the body through holistic and natural ways.
What is naturopathy:
Naturopathy is a type of medical practice that focuses on finding natural ways for the body to heal itself. This is done through therapies, herbs, massage, acupuncture, and exercise.
The goal of this system is to treat the cause of an illness that is done through the treatment of the whole person. In naturopathy a person is seen to be composed of a mind, body and spirit. There are several different practitioners that work to enact naturopathy, they are as follows:
- Naturopathic physicians. Those that fall into this category have attended an accredited four year graduate school and have learned the same sciences as conventional doctors. However where they differ from the conventional is that they also studied nutrition, psychology, and therapies.
- Traditional naturopaths. These are practitioners that have not attended an accredited school or have not received a naturopathic medical license.
- Healthcare providers. There are some medical doctors, dentists, chiropractors, and nurses that have received training in naturopathic medicine.
It is always important when choosing a healthcare provider to look at their credentials, this ensures that you are receiving the best care possible.
What is homeopathy:
Homeopathy is a type of medical practice that holds to the belief that the body can cure itself. Small amounts of plants and minerals are used to quicken the healing process.
The belief behind this medical practice is that cures like. In other words something that brings on a symptom in the healthy can be used to cure a symptom in the sick.
Homeopathic doctors will look into your mental, emotional, and physical health when prescribing a treatment. Often these treatments are made from diluted ingredients such as: red onion, poison ivy, white arsenic, arnica, and bees. In addition to being given the treatment or tincture by a homeopathic doctor, you can buy these remedies over the counter at local pharmacies.
What are these medical practices good for treating?
Both forms of medical practice are used to treat a variety of most health issues. Some of these include:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Digestive problems
Is it safe?
As with any medical practice there are risks associated with naturopathy and homeopathy. Be sure to talk to your primary care doctor before engaging in any treatments, as they can have an adverse effect when mixed with certain medications.
That being said when it comes to homeopathic remedies for the most part they are deemed safe, in that side effects to the remedies are rare. These remedies are monitored by the FDA, however they are not checked for effectiveness.
When it comes to naturopathy there are many benefits to this holistic approach to wellness, there are some side effects and risks associated with it however.
- Some supplements can have an adverse effect when mixed with prescription drugs.
- Spinal adjustments, when done incorrectly, can damage nerves and spinal discs.
- Detox diets can be dangerous for people who have diabetes, as you cut out certain foods
What are the benefits?
Both forms of medicine are a great alternative for people that are looking for a more natural way of healing. Naturopathy and homeopathy are also both great resources for people that have not found a solution to their illness or pain. Naturopathy is a good option for people that struggle with chronic pain or illness.
How Breiner Whole Body Center Can Help
Here at Breiner Whole Body Health Center in Fairfield, CT we specialize in looking at you as a whole person, not simply a case. We work with you to find the root of your discomfort whether that be pain or sickness, we take a holistic approach to treating you. When looking for a naturopathic doctor in Fairfield, CT look no further than us. We have an exceptional staff that are here to help you manage and find a solution to your pains and illness.